MonoGame is an open-source implementation of the Microsoft XNA Framework that supports all gaming platforms.
The MonoGame Foundation was established in September 2023 to direct the future of the project.
The current board members are:
You can read the foundation bylaws or review the meeting minutes below to keep track of our progress.
Explore how MonoGame has grown and shaped game development over time.
- The XNA toolset is first announced at the 2004 Game Developers Conference in San Jose, California.
- The first "Community Technology Preview" of XNA Build released.
- XNA Game Studio Express is released.
- Mono.XNA development begins.
- XNA Game Studio 2.0 is released.
- XNA Game Studio 3.0 is released.
- Bill Reiss's SilverSprite is released.
- XNA Touch (with bits of SilverSprite and Mono.XNA) is released by [José Antonio Leal de Farias](https://github.com/jalf).
- Several iPhone games appeared on the Apple App Store using XNA Touch.
- XNA Game Studio 4.0 is released.
- XNA Touch is renamed MonoGame and is moved to GitHub.
- Support is added for Android, Mac, Linux, and OpenGL on Windows.
- Dominique Louis takes over as the full time project lead.
- XNA Game Studio 4.0 Refresh is released.
- MonoGame 2.0 is released.
- Support is added for DirectX 11, Windows 8, and Windows Phone 8.
- The first MonoGame website goes up.
- The MonoGame team was invited to speak at Microsoft’s //Build 2012 event.
- Microsoft XNA development ends.
- Microsoft Studios publishes several titles using MonoGame on Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8.
- OUYA console support is added to MonoGame.
- MonoGame 3.0 is released.
- MonoGame 3.2 is released.
- First release of MonoGame for PlayStation 4 is made available to all Sony developers.
- MonoGame 3.4 is released.
- MonoGame 3.5.1 is released.
- First release of MonoGame for PlayStation Vita is made available to all Sony developers.
- MonoGame 3.6 is released.
- First release of MonoGame for Nintendo Switch is made available to all Nintendo developers.
- MonoGame 3.7 is released.
- MonoGame 3.8 is released.
- First release of MonoGame for PlayStation 5 is made available to all Sony developers.
- MonoGame 3.8.1 is released.
- The MonoGame Foundation is formed.
Feel free to contact us with business, press, and administrative inquires below.